How far is 500 light years
How far is a light year?
The speed of light is used to describe the enormous distances in space. The distance of one light year is approximately 9,460,730,472,580.8 kilometers. This corresponds to a rounded 9.5 trillion km. So light covers a distance of around 9.5 trillion km in one year.
The speed of light is a so-called natural constant. Light moves in a vacuum at a speed of 299,792,458 meters per second. This corresponds to around 299,792 kilometers per second - roughly rounded: 300,000 km per second.
See also: Units and their prefixes (simple overview)
Measure distances with light
The distance that light travels in one second is roughly 8.5 times the circumference of the earth. The moon is approximately 384,400 km from Earth. Light that is reflected from the moon therefore needs a little more than a second before we see it on earth. The Sun is around 147 million km away. The light takes around 490 seconds to cover this distance, a little more than 8 minutes.
Which is the closest star to us after the sun Alpha Centauri (Strictly speaking, these are three stars). It is 4.36 light years away. Together with billions of other stars, we form a galaxy, the Milky Way. The next galaxy is the Large Magellanic Cloud - it is 160,000 light years away. And that's practically the next neighboring city. Thanks to the speed of light, we can describe the size of the universe, but it is unimaginable ...
From the light that has been moving through the universe for millions of years, one can draw interesting conclusions about the light source - with the help of spectral analysis or spectroscopy.
Ok I agree
- Is GIMP safe to download
- Is the VW R reliable
- Why is casino gambling good
- Is Bhutan the best environment
- What if Hitler defeated Russia and England?
- Can dogs read body language
- How do I get motivated for exams?
- What Are The Best Physiotherapy In Burwood
- How do I exchange money in Canada
- Hate being around people
- Snapchat competes with Instagram
- What is olanzapine
- What functions do you want Twitter to have
- Why is kinetic energy never negative
- What's your favorite gun under 300
- Are ceramic polymers
- How are atheists treated in the Netherlands
- Google AdWords Why PPC Campaigns Fail
- Do you think you are a personable person?
- How much does a Cambodian e-Visa cost
- Can garnish Revenue Canada pensions
- How do I get YouTube
- Can head injuries cause criminal behavior
- What do you like about UCSD