You are smart
Dunning-Kruger effect: why half-knowing people think they are particularly clever
According to Erbs, however, it is somewhat surprising that we often overestimate our contributions to negative results. For example, that we primarily attribute failure to failure. The reason: We focus primarily on ourselves, observe each other much more closely than our fellow human beings - solely because we can look deeper into ourselves than into our counterpart. "In this respect, the more people are involved in a group performance, the stronger the effect," emphasizes the Hamburg psychologist. The individualism of modern western society, in which one constantly compares oneself with one's fellow human beings, promotes the tendency to overestimate oneself.
Dunning and Kruger conclude that you quickly end up in a vicious circle of incompetence. Because half-knowing people tend to overestimate themselves and at the same time misunderstand the competence of others, they also do not see the need to further educate themselves and thus increase their competence.
So what can you do about your own overconfidence? The first step is to recognize that the much-cited common sense is often not enough to penetrate complex problems. It depends on self-reflection: on creating an awareness of the tendency within us to overestimate ourselves. That's easier said than done. A prominent example, as many psychologists agree, sat in the White House for years.
- Why did humans not develop claws
- Is Jadavpur University good for an MBA
- Are there any animals that are insensitive to radiation
- Can we be sued for delayed delivery?
- Can cannabis be used to treat depression
- What makes a good port
- What is Art Garfunkel famous for?
- Is bauxite an iron ore
- Intrusive thoughts can lead to schizophrenia
- Why did WCW go bankrupt
- Where are worksheets stored
- Is the Volvo 2017 S60 reliable
- Your house was on fire
- What does OKR stand for in marketing?
- What lights are usually used at events
- Everything deserves an explanation
- The end of our civilization is near
- Which fruit name ends with UAVA
- How is a grandfather clock made
- Is Denmark more totalitarian or authoritarian
- Is Sch Inch real?
- The Panasonic Eluga Ray 700 is hung up
- What is a lambda form
- There will be NEET 2019