Acorns are poisonous to humans
Eating acorns: the secret of the preparation
Eat acorns? They're poisonous, aren't they?
In autumn, the deciduous trees not only throw colorful leaves at our feet - we also encounter acorns on a Sunday walk in the forest. The nuts are perfect for handicrafts or decorating - and they look good on the plate under certain conditions!
Those who wanted to nibble curiously on acorns as a child often had to listen to their parents: "For heaven's sake, hands off. Acorns are poisonous!" That is not entirely wrong - after all, the raw nuts contain a high proportion of tannins, which can lead to severe gastrointestinal complaints in humans.
If you ask your grandparents, however, they will answer in amazement: "Of course acorns are edible!" Acorn bread and decaffeinated coffee substitutes made from acorns were common foods, especially in the post-war period. The question arises: How can that be?
Acorns are edible!
In fact, acorns can be eaten even though they are incompatible when raw. The secret lies in the preparation, the methods of which have been increasingly forgotten over time.
In order to make acorns edible, the toxic tannins have to be washed out. To do this, the collected acorns are left to dry for two days, the shell of the nut fruits is cracked and the kernel and the brown seed skin are removed.
After that, the acorns need to be watered for several days. To do this, the acorns are crushed, for example with a mortar, and then placed in a bowl of water for two to three days. The water should be changed every twelve hours. The tannins are now dissolved in the water, which can be recognized by the brownish discoloration of the liquid.
If the water remains clear at the end of the day, the tannins are completely washed out. Now the acorns can be taken out of the water, dried and processed further.#Subjects
- What are the top 5 technology markets
- Why is QPSK called a quadrature toggle key
- Is the protest still being taken seriously?
- What new music is out
- What is data clustering
- What does a woman want in love
- How tall is Alia Bhatt
- Which Samsung Galaxy has the best camera
- Will horses protect you
- Is Toulouse safe at night
- Why do ants attack other insects
- How does one shot machine learning work
- Sawdust can be used in a garden
- What do women do at kitty parties
- Could the language come from the onomatopoeia
- Is emotional empathy the same as sympathy?
- How do composers protect their intellectual property?
- What is a western movie
- Will Walmart get me to show ID
- How difficult is business informatics
- How can Rey understand Chewie so quickly
- How does a woman behave
- What services does DHL offer
- Is ADHD a cognitive or mental disorder
- What buds what are some examples
- Are antidepressants prescribed over 1
- What do you mean by pokki nayi
- What is a ring in math
- Is a Mangolian restaurant profitable
- What is the aggravation of a crime
- Why is ice slippery
- Will Brexit ruin your new year
- What are some Egyptian superstitions
- Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome is a disability