Why ask a question
Asking questions: 46 examples + That's why it's so important
How many questions do you ask? Before you make a rough estimate or even start counting your daily questions and keeping a tally, the simple answer for the majority of people is the same: Too few! It seems almost out of fashion to ask questions. Now there is an answer mentality. However, it is forgotten that questions can do much more than express one's own ignorance. Those who ask can broaden their horizons, develop and grow personally, take the lead and achieve their goals. You also need to ask questions to build and deepen relationships. Why it is so important to ask questions, in which areas you should definitely ask more often and which questions you should definitely ask ...
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
Asking questions is more than just imparting knowledge
When it comes to asking questions, most people initially only think of compensating for a lack of knowledge. We have to ask if we don't know how something works, if we don't know a word or a name, or if we are helpless and lost in a situation. Of course, this is one of the main functions of questions and many are aligned with it, but it would be a mistake to underestimate questions for this reason.
The truth is: Questions can do much more - and should be actively used much more often. Above all in the conversation. Anyone who asks questions here is anything but stupid, but takes the action into their own hands and steers a dialogue in the direction they want. Or in short: whoever asks sets the tone. You can take up certain topics, question individual aspects and thus make your own point of view clear.
The benefits of questions
With the right questions, you will also get closer to your personal goal, which you are pursuing in a conversation. For example, if you want to get a raise or close a deal with a customer, you can use well-placed questions to influence the course in your favor. Another important use of questions: This is the only way you can really get to know someone. Imagine you make a new acquaintance - regardless of whether it is professionally or privately - and during the first time neither of you would ask a question. The conversation would immediately come to a standstill and getting to know each other would be over.
Questions show interest and lay the foundation for future trust. The whole thing should of course not only remain theoretical, which is why we have put together a list of many different questions that are particularly suitable for getting to know people better. Some of them are already suitable for a first meeting. Others are more in-depth. When it is time to ask which, however, you have to decide yourself and make it dependent on the respective situation.
15 examples: Smart questions to get to know
- What you do for a living?
- What qualities do you value most in yourself?
- What do you dislike about other people?
- What hobbies do you particularly enjoy?
- Imagine that you are totally bored: How do you keep yourself busy?
- How do you deal with conflict?
- Which experience shaped you particularly?
- How important are family and friends?
- How important is the job for you?
- Where would you go on vacation if money wasn't an issue?
- How would your best friends describe you?
- What is your favorite song - and why?
- What are your goals for your life?
- What's a particularly bad habit about you?
- What kind of people - or what kind of people - do you admire?
Asking questions: Also important in your job
You should ask questions more frequently, especially in professional life and at work. Of course, this does not mean that you should ask your boss whether you can call it a day earlier or ask a colleague whether he or she would like to relieve you of a few tasks. Of course, these are also allowed from time to time, but should remain the exception and not become the main questions with which you stand out in the job.
Instead, ask critical questions. Now you might first think: Critical questions in the workplace? That certainly doesn't go down so well with the boss, why should I make enemies unnecessarily and cause stress? However, this idea is usually wrong and is more due to your own insecurity.
In fact, most superiors are grateful when employees openly express critical questions. Some corporate cultures even specifically encourage this behavior. The simple reason: Employees often know best where there is potential, which mistakes are made in daily work or in which areas problems may arise. A team full of yes-men won't get you anywhere. If, on the other hand, critical inquiries are made in good time, solutions can be worked out at an early stage to prevent worse things from happening.
Smart questions on the job: 7 examples
If you ask questions on the job, you also show that you are genuinely interested in your job and your employer and that you want to be successful together. Always accepting everything in silence quickly gives the impression that you don't care about your work - and then it could become really problematic for you. Here too, of course, we have a list of exemplary questions that you should ask your boss more often - of course, only when it is appropriate and the question fits the situation:
- In which direction will our department develop in the next two years?
- Is the current procedure really optimal? Maybe we should better ...
- Is it certain that customers will respond positively to this?
- How likely is it really that we will meet the targets at this rate?
- Shouldn't we be focusing on something else?
- Is this really the right time to take this step?
- How can I accelerate my career advancement?
Asking questions - including yourself: 24 examples
If you have taken something away from reading the article so far, you may in the future ask one or two more questions and consciously encourage yourself to use questions to your own advantage. As well as asking questions to others, you can ask yourself questions as well. And that is exactly what you should do, as it can be a great benefit to take the time every now and then to answer some important questions for yourself. Since this is where most people find it particularly difficult, we are happy to give you a helping hand and give you many questions that you can use to reflect on your own situation and learn more about yourself - if you are ready to ask yourself the Not only to ask questions, but also to answer them honestly.
- Am I currently happy and satisfied with the situation?
- Am i happy with myself
- What am I most afraid of?
- What do I really want to do with my life?
- What are my passions and strengths?
- What worries are in my head the most?
- How can I fight this?
- What should I work on personally?
- What do I enjoy the most?
- Do I take enough time for the things that are really important to me?
- Are there people whom I should delete from my environment because they are not good for me?
- Which dream do I really want to fulfill?
- What is the next big step ahead of me?
- When was the last time I jumped over my shadow?
- What have I learned from the past five years?
- What would I like to change if I knew that I couldn't fail?
- How can I help other people?
- What was the last goal I achieved?
- What is my next goal?
- How can I do something good for myself?
- Why do I have a guilty conscience?
- Which old friend should I get in touch with again?
- What things in life am I grateful for?
- What am i proud of
What other readers have read about it
- How rare is a white hawk
- What's your SOP
- Is rennet used in cheese
- What are gravel plants
- How do townhouses and apartments compare?
- Can people lift weights that are heavier than themselves
- What do you think of the hornbill
- Why is there gender for planets
- Why is Elance oDesk not popular
- How the world will be without me
- Every moment is eternal
- What does a hacker look like
- Have gluons antiparticles
- How should I devote myself to work
- What does bending element actually mean
- Recommend a drop from BITS
- What is your 5 idea
- Who makes the best rubber seals
- What are the migratory birds in India
- Has Google started penalizing domain leasing?
- How does the bird cleanse itself
- Where do I take mock SAT tests
- How do you know when you've been lagging behind
- What is the inspection method
- Are weasels pets or pests
- Should cinematography tell everything in one film
- Why we use the tree topology
- What are media campaigns
- Which management course should I do
- Nuts can give me diarrhea
- Are illiterate people respected in your country
- Which factors determine the difficulty of Sudoku
- What is the best product comparison service
- Should diversify Stripe