How can I poop quickly when I'm constipated
What helps against constipation?
With constipation, sufferers can have different symptoms: Many complain of gas, pain and hard stools. It used to be said that anyone who has bowel movements less than three times a week suffers from chronic constipation. Today, however, we know: It is not the frequency that is important, but the individual feeling: Anyone who feels blocked is constipated. People who have a bowel movement every day but have to press hard in pain also suffer from constipation. Proper diet and laxatives can help prevent or clear constipation.
No poisoning from the inside
With chronic constipation, the quality of life of those affected is often severely limited. The often feared "poisoning from the inside" does not, however, occur. The causes can be varied:
- To a temporary constipation often lead to changes in lifestyle, for example on vacation or after an unusual lack of exercise.
- At permanent constipation there are often functional disorders of the intestinal activity with a prolonged passage time of the food pulp. As a side effect of medication, constipation can occur, for example, after taking painkillers of the morphine type (opiates) or psychotropic drugs (antidepressants). Chronic constipation can also be a symptom of a disease such as Parkinson's disease, hypothyroidism, neuropathies or tumors.
If, in addition to constipation, symptoms such as unwanted weight loss, blood in the stool, pain, or digestive habits suddenly change, those affected should see a doctor.
How is constipation diagnosed?
In order to find the cause of the constipation, a detailed consultation with a doctor with a stool history (for example with the help of a "stool diary") and a physical examination is necessary. In addition to the frequency of defecation, the consistency of the stool in particular plays a decisive role. With the help of a colonoscopy, constricting tumors or diverticula can be discovered.
In some cases, the speed of transport in the large intestine is also determined. To do this, those affected swallow capsules containing contrast media for six consecutive days. On the seventh day, the abdomen is x-rayed: the respective location of the capsules provides information about how fast the intestine is working and allows conclusions to be drawn about the cause of the constipation.
Treatment through step therapy
Constipation is usually treated with symptomatic therapy:
- The focus is on the conversion of the nutrition on a high-fiber diet, regular physical Move and sufficient Fluid intake.
- Intestinal massages can stimulate the movement of the organ. To do this, the hand circles clockwise on the stomach.
- Conscious too Breathing exercises can have a positive effect on the symptoms. Through the contraction of the diaphragm, abdominal and back muscles, movements are transferred to the intestine. The stimulation of nerves in the tailbone can have a positive effect on digestion.
This is how laxatives work
If the symptoms persist, over-the-counter laxatives from the pharmacy or health food store can help. Side effects are usually only to be expected in the event of a permanent overdose. According to experts, given the indication and the correct dosage, there is nothing wrong with taking laxatives on a regular basis over a longer period of time. This is how laxatives work:
- Osmotic laxatives draw water into the intestines, which softens and loosens the stool and enables it to pass more easily. The osmotic laxatives include fiber such as Indian flea seeds, sugary substances such as milk sugar or lactulose. Although they work well in many cases, they can make painful gas worse. The active ingredient macrogol (powder in sachets) also binds water, but without any flatulence side effects. The funds have to be taken over a longer period of time, they do not help in the short term.
- Stimulant laxatives promote bowel movements so that the stool is transported more quickly towards the rectum and the bowel movement is initiated. They also inhibit the absorption of fluids from the intestines. This can lead to cramps. Active ingredients are, for example, bisacodyl as coated tablets and suppositories, as well as sodium picosulfate, which is also available as drops. The plant-based anthraquinones, for example from sheriff leaves, are also among the stimulating laxatives. Herbal laxatives can also lead to intestinal cramps and are not always gentler than chemical laxatives.
Prokinetic can help with persistent constipation
If over-the-counter laxatives do not help and the doctor sees the need after appropriate diagnostics, a prescription prokinetic can be used. The so-called 5-HT4 agonist mimics the effect of the movement-promoting messenger substance serotonin in the nervous system of the intestine.
Experts on the subject
Prof. Dr. Torsten Kucharzik
Head of Department for General Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology
Bögelstrasse 1, 21339 Lüneburg
(04131) 77 22 41
Dr. Martin Schmidt-Lauber, gastroenterologist, internist
Gastroenterological group practice
Unter den Eichen 26, 26122 Oldenburg
(0441) 97 39 30
Gastro-Liga e. V.
Friedrich-List-Strasse 13, 35398 Giessen
Tel. (0641) 97 48 10, Fax (0641) 974 81 18
This topic in the program:
Visit | 06/26/2018 | 8:15 pm
- Definition of tourniquet bleeding type
- What's the craziest Beatles cover
- Why do most startups depend on funding
- How do turntables play music
- Definition of tourniquet bleeding type
- What are tariff quotas and subsidies
- What are some cute group Halloween ideas
- How effective are Johnson and Johnson's JLABS
- Can I die of lupus?
- How often do drinkers have power outages
- How can I get a food franchise
- How hard can tigers bite
- How much is 12 out of 5,000
- Create conflict in your relationship
- What happened during the shoot in the Boca Mall
- How can you customize your behavior
- What are professions in the science stream
- Where did Mahesh Babu learn to act from?
- The iron trade pays off
- Can a Catholic go to a synagogue
- Why is my hemoglobin high
- Chewbacca is the only Wookiee left
- What's a good nickname for Montrell
- Which word rhymes with end?