How does the goal work in football
Away goals rule in soccer: this is how it works
In soccer tournaments, the away goals rule states that after a return match in the event of a tie, the team that has scored the most away goals wins.
Away goals rule only for home and return legs
The away goals rule is used in football tournaments such as the UEFA Champions League or Europa League, but also in direct comparisons between two teams such as the relegation games of the Bundesliga. It is intended to prevent overtime or a repeat game in the event of a tie after a return game.
The idea behind this is that away goals are often more difficult to achieve for a team due to the lack of home advantage. Therefore, goals scored away from home are weighted slightly higher in a direct comparison.
Used for the first time in the European Cup
The away goals rule first came into play in the European Cup game in 1965. It is not part of the 17 Basic Football Rules of FIFA, but is mentioned in the "How to Determine a Winner", an extra section on the Football Rules.
Example of the away goals rule
The whole thing is best illustrated by a specific example: The away goals rule states that in the event of a tie after a return leg, the team that has scored more goals in the opposing stadium within the two games wins.
Example: Team A plays against team B in the first half of the season and scores three goals, team B scores two goals.
Score first leg, Stadium A:
Team A 3:2 Team B
In the second leg in the stadium of team B, team A does not score a goal, team B scores a goal.
Score second leg Stadium B:
Team A 0: 1 team B
Both teams would have scored three goals each in the first half of the season.
Team A 3: 3 team B
Now the away goal rule applies:
Team B goes to the next round because they have scored two goals in the opposing stadium, Team A did not score any away.
Football rules if the points remain tied
If the number of away goals after the first and second half of the season is also identical - if the result is exactly the same in both games, the game goes into renewal. The away goals rule will also apply to the result after extra time. If there is still a tie, the winner must be the penalties shoot are determined, the away rule then no longer applies according to the football rules.
Important NOTE: The information is in no way a substitute for professional advice or treatment by trained and recognized doctors. The contents of t-online cannot and must not be used to independently make diagnoses or start treatments.
- How do you catch email scammers
- Is there a Pandora for Korean music?
- How are Fisher Space Pens made
- Is Kurt Cobain the goat
- What is your rating of vehicle maintenance
- Can India benefit from Brexit?
- Where do I start with the calculation
- Aldis is owned by Trader Joes
- What is a digital library
- Why are wines so overpriced in restaurants?
- 13-year-olds can tie their breasts
- Why do people believe manipulators
- Will the world ever stop being lazy?
- For which country are you feeling not bad
- Why can't I screenshot Netflix
- How are the broadcast schedules for TV shows determined
- How do I debug Spring Boot applications
- Which front-end framework did you choose?
- Why is philosophy so overrated
- How do you eat an egg
- Can social progress be measured objectively?
- What is radiation hazard
- Is thin hair seen as unattractive by men?
- What is the value of Sin 40