How is potassium nitrate soluble in water
Potassium nitrateDrug groupsSalts Potassium nitrate is a salt that releases oxygen when heated and thus promotes fire and explosion. In the past, it was therefore used, among other things, to produce asthma smoke powder and as a diuretic. Today it is hardly used medically any more. When dispensing as open goods in pharmacies and drugstores, it should be noted that potassium nitrate is suitable for the production of black powder, smoke bombs and fuses. It is also added to meat as a preservative (E 252) and is found in sausage, ham and salami, among other things.
synonymous: Kalii nitrasPhEur, saltpeter, potassium nitrate, E 252, potassium nitric acid, Chinese snow, potassium nitricumProducts
Potassium nitrate is available in the open from pharmacies and drugstores.Structure and properties
Potassium Nitrate (KNO3, Mr = 101.1 g / mol) is available as a white, crystalline powder or as colorless crystals. It is easily soluble in water at room temperature and very easily soluble in boiling water. Potassium nitrate is odorless, tastes cool, salty and somewhat bitter. It should be kept tightly closed and dry.
Potassium nitrate has oxidizing properties. When heated, it releases oxygen, thereby improving combustion and can cause explosions:
- 2 KNO3 (Potassium nitrate) → 2 KNO2 (Potassium nitrite) + O2 (Oxygen)
See also under redox reactions.application areas
- Potassium nitrate is found in toothpaste and dental rinses, which are used to treat hypersensitivity to the neck of the tooth.
- For the production of cold mixtures.
Previous areas of application:
For making fireworks, explosives and gunpowder:
- For preserving / curing meat (= E 252).
Various technical applications, for example as a fertilizer.see also literature
- Poulsen S. et al. Potassium containing toothpastes for dentine hypersensitivity. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2006, CD001476 Pubmed
Conflicts of Interest: None / Independent. The author has no relationships with the manufacturers and is not involved in the sale of the products mentioned.additional Information
Support PharmaWiki with a donation!
© PharmaWiki 2007-2021 - PharmaWiki provides independent and reliable information about medication and health.
This article was last changed on 11/23/2019.
Imprint and data protection declaration
Show products for this page
- Is PESU too strict
- What is Xposed Framework in Android
- Has anyone ever failed basic education?
- What is the OSHA PEL for H2S
- At what temperature do liquids freeze
- How should I write a Telugu blog
- What do others think of Odisha
- How could shelter for the homeless be improved?
- Are polyethylene and polyethylene the same?
- Could Snape defeat Bellatrix in a duel
- What do you mean by goal setting
- How are there seeds in papaya?
- Is suicide a natural thing in animals
- What are three types of architecture
- Strong thunderstorms stimulate your creativity
- How do I delete a Uloop account
- Posted by Tom Waits Last Chance Texaco
- What are some unknown technological inventions
- Which artist sang the song on January 28th
- What is Arcane Network
- Is the momentum a scalar or a vector
- How is plastic waste handled?
- What are the most widely produced aircraft engines
- Who are men 1