Can you learn to be an artist?
Learning to paint is easy - the information portal for all painting techniques
Latest blog posts:
Draw Skull - Create realistic skull drawing
One of the most useful exercises to improve your artistic skills is learning how to draw a skull. Drawing a human skull can help you in many ways when it comes to drawing different parts of the human head, and the skull itself will also add a lot of symbolism and meaning to your artwork ...
Mixing pink - your guide to beautiful pink tones
Pink is one of the most vibrant and diverse colors in art. Making pink may sound easy, but there are many different shades of pink that differ in their composition. In this guide you will find step-by-step instructions for mixing different shades of pink and thus get to know the different variations. What about pink ...
Draw a wolf - Instructions for a successful wolf drawing
Wolves are great creatures that symbolize loyalty, spirituality, trust, and protection. The wolf's ability to form strong emotional bonds and its sense of intuition are qualities that we as humans can learn too - how we can trust both our hearts and instincts to lead full lives. If you want to learn ...
Painting watercolor flowers - Instructions for painting flowers in watercolor
Most of us have probably already done watercolor painting at school. Watercolors can be used to create beautiful pictures and painting is also a wonderful way to relieve stress. Painting may seem difficult at first, but you will find that with practice you can create unique works of art. With…
Airbrush gun - Find the right gun for airbrushing
Airbrushing is enjoying increasing popularity, so that the market for airbrush accessories continues to grow. Especially for beginners, choosing the right airbrush gun is not easy and they don't know what to consider when buying an airbrush gun. Here you will receive tips from us and we will explain what a ...
Is acrylic paint waterproof? Everything you need to know
Acrylic paints are basically waterproof, but they are not suitable for outdoor use. The use of acrylic paints is recommended for outdoor areas, as these are less susceptible to rain. In this article you will learn everything you need to know about acrylic paint and its water resistance. Acrylic paint as artist paint For the production of acrylic paint, the ...
Welcome to malen-lernen.org, your portal all about learning to paint. Are you looking for a new hobby? Or have you always wanted to let your creativity run free? Express your soul in artistic form or process your feelings and experiences? Then you are exactly right here.
At malen-lernen.org you can find all information about painting in all its forms. In addition to the different painting techniques, you will also learn about the different types of colors and what you can do with them. You will also find lots of great inspiration for your next works of art here. We offer you a lot of information for learning to paint for both beginners and advanced painters
We hope you enjoy browsing!
Painting for Beginners - First Steps
Painting pictures can be tricky. However, once you get started, the process will run all by itself. So that you can get started, we have created an information portal for all art enthusiasts and aspiring artists on everything to do with learning to paint. We want to give you the most important tips right from the start:
- Not too top-heavy: Learning to paint is an intuitive thing. Just start painting.
- Always start from the beginning: don't bite into a picture, but start a new work if you get stuck. By studying the works you have already created, you will see more quickly what you are satisfied with and what you can still improve.
- As simple as possible: When you start learning to paint, don't worry too much about technical subtleties, but clear your head so that you can be creative with ease.
- Be humble: your first painted picture will not be a masterpiece. This shouldn't be the goal for you to start painting either. Painting for beginners also means getting better and better with small steps.
- Learn to paint step by step: Start with simple subjects and learn the basic techniques. Only then do you dare to approach more complicated and demanding topics. Painting is also a craft and it has to be learned.
The different painting techniques
There are various painting techniques and painting media or color media that you can learn. Some of these are better suited for beginners, while others require a longer training period. Here we list which painting techniques there are, what is special about them and what advantages and disadvantages they have.
Acrylic painting is now very widespread. And for good reason. You can paint almost anything with acrylic paints: transparent paint applications like with watercolor painting, as well as thick layers of spatula like with impasto. Acrylics you can just do it with water dilute. These dry up waterproof and with the right primer you can paint with acrylic paints on almost any surface.
However, the fast drying time can also be a disadvantage. While you have a lot of time when painting with oil paints, you have to factor in the time factor when painting acrylic. In contrast to oil painting, acrylic paints appear much more colorful and luminous. They are therefore very well suited for abstract and striking figurative motifs, among other things. If you want to paint with realistic color tones and fine color transitions, oil painting is more suitable.
Are you interested in painting with acrylic paints? Then we have a lot of information for you in the area Acrylic painting collected:
Oil painting is a traditional painting technique. It is considered the supreme discipline in painting. Working with oil paint is more of a difficult topic - it smells a bit strong, leaves stains and is greasy. In addition, oil paintings take a long time to dry. In contrast to acrylic painting, the difficulty lies in the ability to paint over the colors. The basic technique of oil painting is relatively easy to learn, but if you really want to master oil painting, you need a lot of time and patience.
The basic technique of oil painting and all other information can be found in our section Oil painting:
As the name suggests, an essential component is water. Watercolor painting could also be described as painting with colors with the aid of water. In addition to the color pigments, most gum arabic is used as a binder. This is water-soluble and almost transparent. This simple formula helps the watercolor pictures to achieve high color brilliance and luminosity. In addition to the short drying time of the applied watercolor paint, watercolor painting is also relatively easy to learn and therefore ideally suited for the introduction to painting addiction. There are also Watercolor pencilsas an additional painting medium.
Are you interested in watercolor painting? Then have a look in our area Watercolor painting past:
Pastel painting combines aspects of painting with those of drawing. Either pure pigments, pastel chalk or pastel pencils are used for this. In pastel painting, handmade paper is often used as an image carrier. It is important that the painting surface is rough so that the pigments can adhere to the surface.
You apply pastel chalk to the painting surface and then smudge it either with your fingers or a paper wiper, also known as a torchon. The great thing about pastel colors is that you can mix them very well on paper to achieve smooth color transitions. Pastel pictures are relatively sensitive to touch and should be hung behind glass.
Painting with pastel is also very suitable for beginners, especially in realistic painting this technique is very popular.
You can find out more about painting with pastel crayons in our section Pastel painting:
Fluid Painting and Fluid Art mean “liquid painting” and “liquid art” in German. Instead of using other painting techniques, no brushes or spatulas are used, but rather the colors are applied to the painting surface in a liquid state. The results achieved are to a certain extent unpredictable, which has a great influence on the fascination of this painting technique. All fluid painting techniques are particularly suitable for beginners. But there are also many techniques and materials to discover for advanced learners. The best-known sub-areas are thatAcrylic pouring, Resin Art and Alcohol Ink. When it comes to projects with epoxy resin, we recommend youresin-expert.com.
You can find everything about Fluid Art and the individual techniques in the section Fluid painting:
Mixed media includes all techniques in which more than one type of color is used. Media refers to the word medium, which in painting describes the binding agent that is responsible for the adhesion of the color pigments. There are no limits to creativity and imagination. For example, you can combine ink with acrylic paints and pastel chalks and get the ideal out of every color material. With mixed media technology, however, you can not only use individual types of color, but also embellish your pictures with other materials such as newspaper articles, fabrics or photos.
When using mixed media, it should be noted that the drying time of the individual colors can vary greatly and a varnish may be required.
Would you like to learn the mixed media technique, get inspiration for your next works of art or read up on what materials you need? Then we have in the area Mixed media all information for you:
Drawing / illustrating
What is the difference between drawing and painting? Drawing is about points, lines and the contrast between light and dark. When painting, the focus is on intensity and color. Most of the time, artists draw their pictures freehand, without tools such as rulers or stencils. The drawing is often reduced to a few lines, whereby the essence of a landscape, a portrait or another object comes into its own.
If you want to learn to draw, we will help you in the area Learn to draw further.
The most popular articles for learning to draw:
Which painting technique is best for learning to paint?
In our opinion, there are painting techniques that are easier and more difficult to master. Before you buy head over heels painting equipment, you should be aware of what you enjoy most.
Simple painting techniques for beginners
- Drawing is the basis for many painting techniques
- Getting started is relatively easy and motivating
- You can already create great works of art with pencil and colored pencils
- You can use drawing perfectly in mixed media
- Working with watercolors is cheap, easy to use, and you can paint on paper.
- The painting base paper is cheap to buy and does not take up much space.
- The water colors dry quickly and can be stored for a long time without spoiling.
- With acrylic paints you have full freedom and can paint anything you want
- Acrylic paints are cheap and easy to use
- Painting with pastel chalk is intuitive because you don't need any tools or painting materials other than chalk
- You don't need a lot of materials to get started with pastel painting
- You don't need any drawing skills
- Fluid painting is therefore suitable for almost every age group
- The learning curve is very steep
- You will receive fascinating pictures within a very short time
Painting techniques for advanced students
The oil painting has certain challenges that you should be aware of:
- The smell of the oil paints is unpleasant
- You need solvents that are not harmless to health
- Painting with oil paints requires a lot of practice and experience
Also the Mixed media painting technique requires a certain amount of practice:
- You should already have a basic understanding of other painting media
You are welcome to try out every single painting technique on malen-lernen.org before you decide on one. We hope that this will inspire you and we would be delighted if a hobby turns into a new passion.
The collected art knowledge
Would you like to learn more about the various art eras or be inspired by the works of famous artists? We have summarized the most exciting and inspiring topics for you:
Creative techniques and coloring pages
If you are looking for coloring pages for yourself or your children, thisPainting mandalaor that Zentangleswant to learn, we also have exciting articles for you:
- What does ethical justification mean
- Can Christians eat meat on Fridays
- Why is Ducati Scrambler so expensive
- Is private debt a macroeconomic concept?
- What is the family motto of OBrien
- Are joints even safer to smoke
- Why do games consume energy
- Can we change our room in VIT
- How does concentration lead to meditation
- What are market forces
- What is Scotland's Ethnic Composition
- What are some arguments about science
- What are the gonadal glandular hormones
- How does Siri get context
- What does a dog award tell you
- What irritates just thinking about it
- Why are mobile games showing misleading ads?
- Do non-metals react with bases 1
- Where was the film Fletch filmed
- How do I cut my dog's claws
- What are some examples of allophones
- Are you doing well with an emerging China
- How do I develop my spiritual gift
- Should I leave my band?