Who is the manufacturer of Ferrari

Ferrari is the pride of Italy

In 1947, the car manufacturer Ferrari was founded by Enzo Ferrari in Maranello, a small town in Emilia-Romagna. Since then, his vehicles have not only become legendary in motorsport, they are also considered the epitome of the Italian sports car.

A black horse becomes a trademark

Enzo Ferrari, who was born in Modena in 1898 and trained in his father's metalworking business, was enthusiastic about combustion engines and racing cars from an early age. In 1919 he built his own vehicle and took part in regional car races. Thanks to his technical knowledge and his driving skills, Enzo achieved considerable success in a short time and attracted the attention of the automotive industry. So he finally became a works driver for the Italian car manufacturer CMN (Construzioni Meccaniche Nazionale). In 1920 he won numerous victories as chief works driver at Alfa Romeo.

Baron Francesco Baracca, the most successful Italian fighter pilot of the First World War, used a horse on a white background to decorate the planes of his group of pilots. When Enzo Ferrari won a car race in Ravenna in 1923, Baracca's mother, Contessa Paolina Biancoli, advised him to use this horse as his trademark in the future.
At the end of the 20s he founded his own racing team and called it Scuderia Ferrari. For this Enzo used the logo, which has remained almost unchanged to this day - a rearing black horse (Italian: cavallino rampante) on a yellow background, the color of his hometown Modena and with the letters "SF" for Scuderia Ferrari.

The first racing car was built in Maranello in 1946

In 1940 Enzo Ferrari named his company “Auto Avio Costruzioni Ferrari” and three years later moved from Modena to Maranello. It was here in 1946 that he constructed his first racing car, a Ferrari 125 C Sport, and subsequently also exclusive road vehicles, which, thanks to their unusual design, quickly became a coveted object for the upper class.
To meet the increasing demand, Enzo Ferrari sold half of his company to the Fiat Group in 1969. In 1988 their share was increased to 90%. The remaining 10% still belong to Enzo's son Piero Ferrari.

Despite everything, there were always difficult times for Ferrari. For example, American safety and emissions regulations led to a sharp drop in sales in the 1970s.

When Enzo Ferrari died in 1988, the brand experienced a new upswing and the successes in Formula 1 led to a real boom.

The main market is the USA

Ferrari is now one of the profitable automobile manufacturers in the luxury segment. Around 7,000 to 8,000 vehicles are manufactured in Maranello each year. The current Ferrari models are the 812 Superfast, the 4-seater GTC4 Lusso and GTC4 Lusso T, the 488 GTB and 488 Spider, the Portofino with a foldable hardtop, and the limited models Ferrari F12 TDF8, LaFerrari and LaFerrari Aperta.

The Ferrari brand has always been associated with red. In the past, this color was generally used in racing for all Italian racing cars. But even when that changed, Ferrari continued to paint its cars red. And most of the production vehicles were also ordered in this way. It's different now. Red is still desired, but only accounts for around 40 percent of all Ferraris that are delivered. The implementation of special customer requests is now more in demand. In Maranello, for example, you can not only choose from an extensive range of colors, but also have a special paint mixed or order a two-tone paintwork, in which the roof is usually painted in a different color.

The main sales market for Ferrari is the USA, followed by China. In Europe, most vehicles are sold to the UK.

In 2015, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) plans to sell its 90 percent stake, with 10% going public and 80% going to the shareholders of FCA.

For the Italians, Ferrari is the pride of the country and is emotionally superior to its regional competitors Lamborghini and Maserati. There are also countless Ferraristi worldwide, as Ferrari fans call themselves, who are enthusiastic about the red myth. Since the end of 2010, Abu Dhabi has even had its own theme park, Ferrari World, in which everything revolves around the fascinating Italian sports car brand.