How do I write like Hemingway
Write Better With Hemingway: Five TipsReading time: 2 minutes
1. Write better: short sentences
Hemingway was known for writing short sentences and removing all decorative accessories. He got straight to the point without bothering about the bush.
His greatest literary achievement was probably the task of writing a story in 6 words: "For sale, baby shoes, never used." In English: "For sale, baby shoes, never used."
2. Short paragraphs at the beginning
Why should you choose short paragraphs at the beginning? There is a very simple reason for this. The reader is drawn more into the text when he is given well-prepared nibbles to read. If the first paragraph is already 12 lines long and without interruption, it looks more like a "wasteland of text". With this you cannot persuade your reader to continue reading; on the contrary, you tend to scare them off.
3. Powerful words
Like Hemingway, use powerful words such as passion, powerful, focused, fighting to the point of exhaustion, moving mountains, full of emotions ... The reader can identify with them much better. The more vivid and descriptive your texts are, the easier they are to read and the more it sticks with the reader.
4. Be positive instead of negative
Hemingway was certainly not the most cheerful person of his time. But he always looked for the positive description in his texts. You know the picture of the glass with 50% content. Hemingway would have spoken of the half-full glass instead of the half-empty glass. Instead of a painful procedure, he would have spoken of little comfort.
5. 4 rules are not enough
In fact, Hemingway only had four rules, which he received as a youth reporter in Kansas City in 1917. But as all good copywriters know, four rules are not enough to write the best copy. And after doing some research, I came across perhaps the best tip from Hemingway:
"I write a masterful page and 91 bad pages," Hemingway confessed to his colleague F. Scott Fitzgerald in 1934. "I'm trying to throw the bad parts in the trash."
PS: Quality management is important to us!
Please let us know how you like our post. To do this, click on the asterisks shown below (5 asterisks = very good):
PPS: Did you particularly like the article?
Support our advisor portal:
- Should we be afraid of Russians
- What do you think of schools that fail entrepreneurs
- Java developers usually use Macs Why
- What is the value of cassettes
- What is the chemical formula of clay
- Do sociopaths ever feel sad or lonely?
- Which eyewear brands specialize in luxury sunglasses
- How many cities does Qatar have
- How will google duplex change everything
- Confederate prisoners have a good time
- Cats eat turtles
- How often do fuel pumps go out
- Have non-Tamils supported the LTTE
- Is it bad not getting sunlight
- Which topics are most successful on Medium
- What is IP Tagging
- How do I deal with bossy children
- Human emotions can only be experienced to a limited extent
- How much can the bartender really earn
- Have you ever considered emigrating to Europe?
- What is good luck in Irish
- At what age do youth complexes end
- What is a stored procedure in SQL
- Where can I watch the NBA finals?
- How does nudity strengthen women?
- How do you plan your next week
- How does diabetes mellitus occur
- Which K-Pop idols are very talkative
- What does active mean in Google Hangout
- Trump would be re-elected today
- Butterflies eat insects
- Is Airbnb legal in Manhattan
- How to chop meat