Is denim environmentally friendly
The popular blue jeans: An environmental balance sheet of the fashionable classic
It is no longer a secret that denim is not exactly a material that is produced in an environmentally friendly manner. Since cotton is mainly used for the production of this popular material, the footprint of a pair of jeans begins with the cultivation of the cotton fields and extends through the production process. LadenZeile.de has taken on the topic and tried to clarify whether our popular fashion classics really have to be produced at such a high price for people and the environment or there is no other way.
Almost all of us have at least one pair of jeans in our closet, plus a denim jacket or a denim skirt. A full 35 percent of the annual cotton production is used in the manufacture of denim used. In order to meet the incredible demand, the cotton harvest is driven by the use of chemicals and pesticides. In addition, 10,000 liters of water are needed to produce one kilo of cotton alone. The dyeing and processing of the fabric entails additional risks and environmental pollution, which are caused by dangerous chemicals and work processes that are hazardous to health. Fortunately, the awareness of sustainable and fair fashion among consumers and in the fashion industry has increased in recent years, so there are a few ways to produce denim clothing that is more environmentally friendly and more environmentally friendly and to consume it consciously.
Good concept: take responsibility
The newly discovered sense of responsibility begins with cotton production. A drastic reduction in pesticides and water can result in a much better balance. With alternative cotton seeds, which are more resistant to pests, a lot can also be gained. Dyeing and washes can also be improved through alternatives. More environmentally friendly dyeing, e.g. B. by dyeing with nitrogen, minimizes the consumption of harmful substances. Biological processes for stone-washed jeans and processing with lasers or enzymes also conjure up a fabulous, sustainable design.
What can you do?
However, it is not only the fashion industry and fashion labels that have a major influence on sustainable fashion, consumers also hold the strings in their hands with their purchase decisions and the care of the item of clothing. Sustainable brands are constantly conquering the market and offering great purchase alternatives. In addition, buyers can minimize CO2 emissions by buying clothes that are more regionally made. The second-hand clothing business is also booming. So if you don't want to wear your jeans anymore, you have many options today to bring them to men or women in a profitable way. Anyone who has grown fond of their denim clothes and wants to keep them in good condition for as long as possible should not machine wash them too often. In the case of light soiling, it is usually sufficient to turn the clothes inside out and wash them briefly by hand. And should the jeans at some point no longer be wearable, definitely do not throw them away: When recycling and Upcycling the trousers can still serve briefly and be further processed.
The following graphic from ladenzeile.de offers information about jeans, denim and sustainable fashion:
- Is it god the devil or me
- The pharmacy in India is underestimated
- What are the attractions in Kabini
- What is a sandalwood plant
- How many startups go bankrupt
- How are exaggerations written in poetry
- Do artists have different brains?
- How do I save an image dataset
- Where did asteroids and comets come from?
- Is the momentum a scalar or a vector
- An average student can crack MICAT
- What are the original names of the languages?
- How profitable are hotel booking sites
- How to calculate 6 95
- What makes good video game music
- Are porpoises as intelligent as humans
- Who loves your cooking in your family
- How are different climate model predictions combined
- How do you become a boxing referee
- We hunted ancient Greek civilizations
- How painful is the first paintball hit
- Does the Brave browser have extensions
- How is Taiwan's economy doing
- What is a geologist's dream honeymoon