How much sleep does a child need
How much sleep do children need?
Every age group needs enough sleep. Among other things, it improves attention, the ability to learn, and promotes balance - it is important for both physical and mental health.
“The need for sleep, however, is age-dependent and can also be very different from person to person. Babies between four months and one year of age need about 12 to 16 hours of sleep over a 24-hour period, one to two year olds need about 11 to 14 hours, and three to five year olds 10 to 13 hours - including morning and afternoon sleep. Schoolchildren between the ages of six and twelve should sleep around 9 to 12 hours a night and adolescents between 13 and 18 years of age should get 8 to 10 hours of rest ”, says Prof. Hans-Jürgen Nentwich provides a rough guide on the basis of the current American recommendations, which largely agree with the German ones.
If parents are unsure whether their child is getting enough sleep, a sleep diary can be helpful. For three weeks they record when the child fell asleep, how long they slept, how often they woke up and under what conditions their sleep was interrupted. “Small children can still wake up regularly up to the age of five without being disturbed. The pediatrician can, among other things, use the entries in the sleep diary to see whether any changes in the daily routine can improve the child's sleep quality, whether further measures are necessary or whether parents are unnecessarily worried. Often it is enough to create a pleasant and calm routine for bedtime and a ritual to go to sleep, ”says Prof. Nentwich.
Sources: JCSM, AAP, DGKJ
This is a press release from the professional association of paediatricians e.V. This press release or parts of the article can be reprinted from the following source: www.kinderaerzte-im-netz.de. In the case of publication in online media, the source must be linked to this home page or to a subpage of the BVKJ parent portal. In principle, photos and images may not be used.
- What colors make pink color
- Where can we find about hydroponic systems
- Are ROM and HDD the same
- Are some doctors gay in India?
- How is the Lenovo K6
- Recognition Who deserves less recognition
- Do people like to smell like hockey
- What is Seller Meets Prime on Amazon
- What is roadies
- Have you ever slept pooping?
- What can I put brewer's yeast
- What is abolitionism
- How Much Do Reviewers Make From Magazine Articles
- Is Trump a crypto fascist
- Which photo changes your brain
- Why don't people like to explain why
- I start farming after engineering
- What does it mean to spoil a girl
- How do we divide 26136 by 275
- Can Viagra and similar drugs trigger psychoses?
- Who is voting for the Academy Awards 2018
- What are the latest app marketing tips
- Luffy is strong enough right now
- What's missing in Dribbble Forrst Lovedsgn