Are shrines acceptable in Islam
The Islam punks
Cellar bar in the evening, prayer rug in the morning
Taqwacore: A penchant for self-presentation
Taqwacores - from Arabic "taqwa", pious, and "hardcore", that's the name given to the Muslim punks who have come together in Boston. In the evening there is rocking in basement bars, in the morning at five the whole band is on the prayer rug. The film tells the story of young people who solve their dilemma as radically as possible, fast and in great pictures.
Filmmaker Omar Majeed, himself a Canadian of Pakistani descent, clearly suits her tendency towards self-staging. The band tours the USA in a rocky green bus and enjoys the attention it attracts. And of course one or the other provocative saying is part of it, for example when they warn a mechanic to conscientiously repair the engine. "We don't want the bus to explode before we want it to explode," says one.
"No singing by women"
The highlight of the tour is an appearance at the Islamic Convention in Chicago, the largest gathering of Muslims in America. There is an open stage there for young Islamic artists. When the Islam punks performed there, the audience, especially young girls in headscarves, didn't really know what to think of it. The viewers are undecided whether they should like the performance. Finally, they carefully begin to rock along to the music.
When the Pakistani-Canadian drag king Sena Hussain, a woman who slips into the role of a man, steps onto the stage, it's all over. The stewardship frees the audience from their conflict of conscience by breaking up the concert. It was announced at the conference that any form of Islam is acceptable as long as it does not encourage violence. In the words of the organizer, it sounds different. "I told them: No female singers, no dance. The performance must be Islamically appropriate," one of the organizers justified the ban. "It's not my opinion that women shouldn't sing. It's our policy."
The squeaky green tour bus is supposed to draw attention to the Taqwacore troupe in the USA
Self-discovery at the Sufi shrine
Of course, a guitar breaks, if not in the turmoil, but in front of the congress center, conscientiously smashed on the asphalt. And that would actually make the punk story perfect. But then the protagonists are drawn to the focus of the conflict between the West and Islam. They travel to Pakistan, visit a Sufi shrine and discover that music and Islam somehow go together. They take part in self-flagellation and smoke weed for a few weeks. It just doesn't work out properly with appearances. Here the film loses the pace that characterizes the first half. The savages become thoughtful and suddenly it becomes clear that it's not all fun to stand between all cultures.
The self-confident rebels suddenly become insecure and also more cautious about their provocations. At the end they play a concert and somehow get poor young people in caftans and the young urban chiceria to rock out together. They do without the religious provocations of their USA appearances. Instead, they abuse George W. Bush on stage, which is really not a provocation in Pakistan. The best way to rebel is at home.
Author: Mathias Bölinger
Editor: Jan Bruck
- How do you catch email scammers
- Have you ever slept pooping?
- What is multithreaded synchronization in Android
- Why do most pina coladas taste bad
- Is Brazil rich or poor
- Your pet respects your limits
- What is the purpose of wudu
- The memory is impaired by light cannabis use
- What is a smart everyday life
- Is suicide a natural thing in animals
- Tutankhamun was probably mentally retarded
- How can I get into testing games
- What is a budget constraint line
- Can open hardware startups be profitable?
- How do I find unlisted YouTube videos
- Why is Rohypnol considered illegal
- How are the muscles of the athlete so defined
- Which cryptocurrencies do post-quantum cryptography use?
- How can someone become a Freemason judge
- PC building technology can be implemented
- What is the memory of a cell phone
- Power outages can affect the performance of your computer
- Which football team has gone bankrupt?
- Flaxseed is good for a keto diet
- Make egg yolks a good fertilizer
- What are interstitial hydrides
- What is Nitish Kumars standing on CAB
- Where's the strangest place you've slept in
- Where are worksheets stored
- What is the functional unit of inheritance
- Is Captain Marvel important to Avengers Endgame
- What happens when debilitating depression occurs
- Are lions cats or dogs
- Recycling fails more and more